What doesn’t get measured doesn’t get managed.Peter Drucker
Planning your budget for the month is so important if you want to stay on track of your finances. Not only does it put your money habits into perspective, but writing out a budget allows you to be intentional with your spending.
This Monthly Budget template helps you do exactly that. Remember to fill in the ‘actual’ column at the end of the month to see how close you were to your budget. If the difference is big, adjust your spending or your habits accordingly. If you’re serious about saving money, the Monthly Savings tracker is also a great way to jot down your saving goals with space to fill in important details, such as the why, by when, and how much.
I personally like to sit down with a coffee and write down a rough idea of what next month’s budget should look like. Once I figure this out, I usually type it into Excel for more accurate projections. Use these templates however you want to, but below are just some ideas on how you can use them and what you can write as categories. Happy budgeting!
- Monthly Budget at a glance
- Monthly Savings tracker
- Printable worksheet: Print and write out a budget for the month. To make an annual budget planner, print 12 copies and keep it in a ring binder or folder.
- Digital worksheet: You can also use it as a digital worksheet. There are a few applications and platforms that allow you to take notes on PDF documents. For example, opening the PDF on the Microsoft Edge browser allows you to directly annotate.
- A4 PDF
- 1.7cm margin (space for hole punching)
- Two colour options: pink and grey (colours may vary slightly depending on screen and printer)
- Use recycled paper
- Make sure your paper is perfectly aligned in the printer
- Check you have enough ink before printing
- Student loan
- Credit card
- Tuition fees
- Online shopping
- Occasions (e.g. birthdays, specific holiday days etc.)
- Emergency Fund
- Long-term savings
- Short-term savings
- Items on your wish list
- Eating out
- Personal care
- Day activities
This is my first downloadable template! If you have any feedback, or ideas for any other templates/worksheets (e.g. goal planner, travel packing list, etc.), leave them down in the comments below. I’d love some inspiration for my next template!